COMMON GROUND ON HOMOSEXUALITY
Can anti-gays and pro-gay-rights people agree on certain bare minimums?:
- Can we all agree that no one should suffer physical violence for their sexual orientation?
- Can we all agree that no one should suffer property damage or criminal harassment for their sexual orientation?
- Can we all agree that no one should be denied employment or job promotion in, or a contract with, a secular entity, for being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, or Transgendered (LGBTT), or perceived to be so?
- Can we all agree that no one’s business should be refused for being LGBTT or perceived to be so?
- Can we all agree that no individual should be denied rental housing for being LGBTT or perceived to be so, and that gay couples should be treated no differently than straight couples of similar legal status, in the rental housing market?
- Can we all agree that hospitals and other healthcare professionals, insurers, funeral homes, cemeteries, crematoria, and probate courts, should treat gay couples no differently than straight couples of similar legal status?
- Can we all agree to teach our children to treat LGBTT people or those perceived to be so, or their relatives, on an interpersonal level, the same as we teach them to treat people of other races, classes, nationalities, cultures, gender, creeds, disability, illness, deformity, or other ‘differentness’?
- Can we all agree that secular adoption agencies, family courts, and child welfare authorities, should treat LGBTT individuals and gay couples, as actual or potential parents, no differently than they treat straights of similar legal status?
- Can we all agree that insurers shouldn’t deny, limit, or rate coverage on the basis of sexual orientation or surrogates for it (such as living in certain ZIP codes)?
- Can we all agree not to incite violence, property damage, or criminal harassment, on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation?
- Can we all agree that the term sexual orientation extends, in a factual sense, for most human beings, to the behaviors that flow naturally from it?
- Can we all agree that a consensual romantic or sexual encounter or relationship between persons who have reached the age of consent should not be likened to one between such a person and one who has not reached the age of consent, of whatever gender (i.e., same-sex pedophilia or ephebophilia is not homosexuality as such; 95 pct. of child molesters are straight, etc.)?
- Can we all agree not to assume our family members share our sexual orientation?
- Can we all agree that a crime committed against a person for the motive that that person belongs, or is perceived to belong, to a certain group, terrorizes the whole group, and so should be penalized differently than a ‘random’ crime?
- Can we all agree that an actual or attempted private, consensual, noncommercial sexual encounter of any kind between persons who have reached the age of consent is no crime punishable by government?
What do you think?