WHY AM I A DEMOCRAT?
After all, I’m a monarchist, anti-abortion, and a devout Orthodox Christian convert.
- They’re my people. I grew up a Northeast urban Irish Catholic working-class egalitarian ecological Native American trade unionist in the ’60s and ’70s. Ask Andrew Greeley.
- In many ways they cover the progressive part of progressive conservatism – at least The Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party does – as well as real Classical Conservatism’s concern for the Common Good and the needy.
- The Republicans are so generally horrible, and don’t even do anything on abortion except talk. Nixon, Watergate, Fundamentalism, Iran/Contra/October Surprise, war on the poor, war on workers, government-by-anecdote, propaganda, hunger and poverty and homelessness, corporatism, financial deregulation, divisiveness, “the tone in Washington,” fascism, the Poverty Draft, allowing/encouraging Hussein to invade Kuwait and then going to war with him 1990-2006 and counting, The Contract ON America, FAUX News and other right-wing commandeering of the public airwaves and bandwidth, impeachment for a b.j., e-voting and stolen elections, not to mention the 700 High Crimes, War Crimes, and Crimes Against Humanity, of Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft/Powell/Rice/Scalia/Thomas/Rehnquist/Gonzales/Baker et al.
- I did vote Green for Congress this time…but only because I live in a safe Dem district.
- There’s Democrats for Life of America.
- The Democrats – on a good day – stand up for democracy and justice, fairness and law and the Constitution (such as they are at present).
- Probably other reasons….